When the lock down was announced we lost two thirds of our social media management clients over night. All of these clients went on hold until lock down / coronavirus was over and things had returned to ‘normal’. Some of our clients chose to pause their social media posting because the business had to temporarily close. Meanwhile we had a few clients that were worried that they would upset consumers if they carried on marketing.
Are you worried about marketing through coronavirus in case it upset consumers?
We found some research by eMarketer. They looked at a survey completed by GlobalWebIndex which surveyed a number of people aged 16 to 64 years of age in the US. US internet users were asked if they agreed that brands should advertise as normal during the coronavirus pandemic. This survey was completed on 23rd March, in America.
The results they found from the survey were as follows;
- 13% of responders strongly disagree that brands should advertise as normal during these uncertain times.
- 15% of US internet users somewhat disagree that brands should advertise as normal during coronavirus.
- 16% of those responding to the survey strongly agree that brands should continue advertising as normal during these tricky times.
- 22% of those surveyed somewhat agree that brands should be advertising as normal throughout the coronavirus pandemic.
- Finally, and perhaps most interestingly, 35% of US internet users neither agree nor disagree that brands should continue advertising as normal.
So, if you have stopped your social media posts or blogging because you are worried about marketing through coronavirus in case it upsets consumers – you could be upsetting more people by not marketing. Meanwhile, a lot of consumers really don’t mind if you market and advertise as you did before.
As we have been saying a lot recently, (mainly to ourselves in fairness), this will be over – what will your business look like when we come out the other end?
Are you worried about marketing through coronavirus in case it upsets consumers? Then give us a call. We can talk through marketing plans and strategies with you. You don’t need to stop your online marketing and advertising, but perhaps just change the way you do it and the message you are sharing.